Hospitality venues are multi-faceted spaces that house a number of different activities and a diverse spread of people. Just like any other building, hospitality venues – such as pubs, clubs, hotels, restaurants, bars and motels – require a strict and compliant fire protection system to be in place.
In these spaces, fire doors are particularly important for containing flame and smoke, making sure they do not make their way into isolated areas such as stairwells and entrance ways. They are a crucial element of a venue’s fire protection model and necessary for like safety of patrons and staff alike.
What Are Fire Doors?
“Fire door” is a short term for a fire-rated door set. Fire doors consist of the door leaf, frame and associated hardware such as handles, locks, viewing panels and air grills. All of these elements will have been rigorously tested in accordance with the Building Code of Australia (i.e. AS1530.4) to achieve their fire rating. You can read more about this process here. These kinds of doors are required to close and latch by themselves to avoid being left open.
Why Do I Need Fire Doors For Hospitality?
Fire rated doors are an essential part of every building’s fire protection model. All hospitality venues need fire doors.
• Safety – Fire doors save lives by stopping fire and smoke from spreading quickly and from entering places where staff or patrons may get trapped, like stairwells and corridors.
• Building Preservation – Aside from protecting the people within them, fire doors are vital in protecting buildings by hindering the spread of fire and smoke throughout. They are also necessary in stopping the fire from spreading to other buildings, which is very important in areas where hospitality venues are common such as CBDs and bustling cultural areas.
• Compliance – Australia has strict rules in regards to fire doors in all states. As a designer, architect, builder, installer, licensee, manager or venue owner, it is very important to ensure that all fire rated doors and frames comply with Australian (and state) regulations in order to avoid serious penalties.
• Easy escape – As well as the doors themselves, fire door signage helps people to quickly and easily escape in the event of a fire.
What Kind of Fire Doors Are Suitable For Hospitality?
Hospitality venues are multi-faceted spaces with many different uses. From kitchens to dining space to hotel rooms, these kinds of venues all have their own purposes and therefore, different fire doors may be required to accommodate this. Here at FSE we provide a range of high quality fire doors to suit any space:
• Sliding fire doors – Sliding fire doors are quite common in larger venues where, in the event of a fire, larger entry/exit points are needed to accommodate more people, but where the use of conventional side hung doors is impractical. They might be useful in loading docks for large pubs or clubs, or the entrance to a hotel.
•Double action fire doors – Double action fire doors are used in areas of high traffic where the path of egress could be in either direction as they swing 180-degrees. They are suitable in back of house areas in restaurants or clubs where the flow of traffic runs in both directions.
• Glass fire doors – Glass fire doors are particularly popular in modern hospitality spaces that favour the aesthetics of glass but still need to comply with regulations set out by the BCA. Fire rated glazing is a special glaze that is used to make doors and walls made of glass fireproof.
• Hinged fire doors – Our commerical hinged fire doors are perfect for use in hotels. Our product has been designed and engineered specifically for heavy duty use that also offer higher performance levels of security, longevity and sound attenuation – three very important factors in hospitality venues.
Hospitality Fire Doors With FSE
Fire doors for hospitality are an essential part of any building’s fire protection model and the overall safety of the people inside. FSE Special Purpose Doors’ unmatched experience and expertise in the design, construction and manufacture of hospitality fire doors provides our customers with exceptional peace of mind.